Causative Verbs | English Grammar

Causative Verbs | English Grammar

Causative Verbs

Causative Verbs are those verbs used to indicate a person or thing that causes an action to happen.

Let, Make, Have, Get, and Help are the most common Causative Verbs .

How to Use Causative Verbs in English?

Let - to allow someone to do something or something to happen

Structure:

sub + let + person / thing + verb (base form of the verb)
  1. Did you let your children eat chocolates?
  2. They won’t let him leave the country.
  3. She let me drive her car.
  4. She lets her children play outside.
Make - to cause someone to do something

Structure:

sub + make + person + verb (base form of the verb)
  1. They make me do this work.
  2. The teacher makes me stand up.

In the passive structure, the causative verb ‘make’ comes with the infinitive.

  1. They made him sing a song. (active)
  2. He was made to sing a song. (passive)

Have - to arrange for somebody to do something for you / to cause something to be done for you by somebody else

Structure:

sub + have + person + base form of the verb

sub + have + thing + past participle

  1. Have these plants watered every day.
  2. The people have the leaders keep their promise.
  3. I have my friends wash the dishes.

Get - to convince or encourage someone to do something

Structure:

sub + get + person + to + verb

sub + get + thing + past participle

  1. My brother has got me to bring a camera.
  2. I got the wall painted.
  3. He gets his letter typed.
  4. The hermit got the President served the poor and the needy.
  5. The engineer will get the workmen to build the bridge.

Help - used when someone assists someone else in doing something

As a causative verb, ‘Help’ has two structures. Using either of the structures is correct. In general, the form without ‘to’ is common.

Structure:

sub + help + person + verb (base form of the verb)

sub + help + person + to + verb (infinitive)

  1. She helps me lift this box.
  2. I help my mother to prepare our lunch.
  3. The teacher helped me understand the topic.
  4. Our school aims to help us to achieve our aspirations.
  5. My sister helps me learn driving.

Causative Verb: Exercise

1. Our teacher is strict. He makes us (do) the homework daily.
...
Answer:
do

2. My mother got me (work) in the kitchen.
...
Answer:
to work

3. He had Rita (clean) his bicycle.
...
Answer:
clean

4. Reeya didn’t want to go to school. Her parents made her(go) there.
...
Answer:
go

5. We had somebody (whitewash) the ceiling.
...
Answer:
whitewash

6. He had a cobbler (mend) his shoes.
...
Answer:
mend

7. He got the tailor (shorten) the trousers.
...
Answer:
to shorten

8. We must get the knives (sharpen).
...
Answer:
sharpened

9. I’m getting someone (add) an extra room.
...
Answer:
to add

10. My father died, so I got my head (shave).
...
Answer:
shaved

11. She got her photograph (take).
...
Answer:
taken

12. I must get my hair (cut).
...
Answer:
cut

13. My eyes hurt. I’ll have them (test).
...
Answer:
tested

14. My room leaks. I’ll have it (repair).
...
Answer:
repaired

15. The old bridge was too narrow. The government had it (replace).
...
Answer:
replaced

16. Girls have their clothes (wash).
...
Answer:
washed

17. Sheila got the goldsmith (polish) her jewelers for her brother’s wedding.
... Answer:
to polish

18. She makes him (buy) an extra book.
...
Answer:
buy

19. Kim was made (sing) a song.
...
Answer:
to sing

20. The finance minister made everyone (pay) the tax.
...
Answer:
pay

Reactions

Post a Comment

0 Comments