Modal Verbs / Modals / Modal Auxiliaries-2

Modal Verbs / Modals / Modal Auxiliaries-2
Modal Verbs / Modals / Modal Auxiliaries
PART 2
ü  ‘Ought to’ and ‘had better’ express advisability. But besides expressing advisability, ‘ought to’, as well as ‘should’, may suggest that care be taken in carrying out the action of the verb. In addition, they may imply duty or responsibility in carrying out that action.
Advisability- You ought to stop here till the storm ends. You had better stay here till the storm ends.
Suggestion-  You should try harder. You ought to try harder.
Duty or responsibility- Children should follow the school’s safety regulations. Children ought to follow the school’s safety regulations.
ü  ‘Had better’ is similar in meaning to ‘ought to’ and ‘should’, but it is usually stronger. The auxiliary ‘had better’ often expresses a warning. It is followed by the basic form of the verb and has either a present or future meaning.
Our left front tire is almost flat. We had better stop to fill it with air.
ü    Like the auxiliary verb ‘had’, the verb ‘had’ in the auxiliary ‘had better’ can contract with a subject pronoun: you’d better, they’d better and so on.
ü  The past form of ‘should’ - should have + past participle.
I had an exam this morning. I didnt do well on it, because I read the wrong chapter. I should have been more attentive in class.
It feels like I really hurt my ankle. I should not have played soccer for so long this afternoon.
ü  The past form of ‘ought to’ - ought to have + past participle
I ought to have read the right chapter.
You ought to have thought about the consequences before you volunteered.
ü  ‘Have to’ and ‘have got to’ express necessity. Like ‘must’, they suggest that there is no other choice.
All candidates have to take the grammar test.
I simply have got to get there on time.
ü  In informal conversation, ‘must’ usually carries a stronger connotation than ‘have to’ and often indicates a sense of urgency.
I have to speak to Robert. I was hoping we could get together for lunch.
I must speak to Robert immediately. His brother was in a car accident.
ü  The past tense of ‘have to’ - ‘had to’
I have to leave by tomorrow morning.
I had to leave by this morning.
ü  ‘Have to’ and ‘must’, when in the negative, express lack of necessity or prohibition. Do not have to indicates that something is unnecessary, while must not indicates that something is not allowed.
Tomorrow is Christmas, and we do not have to go to work.
You must not tamper with that device.
ü  ‘Be supposed to’ and ‘be to’ express expectation. They suggest that someone is expecting something about a scheduled situation, the fulfillment of conditions, or the use of proper procedures. If ‘used’ in conversation, ‘be to’ is usually stronger in meaning and more clear cut than ‘be supposed to’.
The plane is supposed to land in an hour.
The plane is to land at ten in the morning.
ü    In the first example, the speaker expects the flight to take off in an hour, because thats when it is scheduled to depart. The second sentence is similar in meaning to the first sentence, but it states a fact. The speaker knows with certainty when the plane will be taking off.
ü  ‘Be to’ and ‘be supposed to’ can also indicate expectation about behavior.
I am supposed to go to this meeting. My director told me he would be pleased to see me there.
I am to be at this meeting. My director told us it is mandatory.
ü  ‘Used to’ expresses a habitual action in the past, one that is no longer performed or repeated. ‘Used to’ can be used interchangeably with ‘would’ in this sense. However, since ‘would’ also has other meanings, it requires an indication of past time to make sense. Compare the following sets of examples.
I used to go surfing every summer.
When I was a teenager, I would go surfing every summer.
Before I broke my knee, I would run five miles every morning.
Reactions

Post a Comment

0 Comments