Modal Auxiliaries | Learn English

Modal Auxiliaries | Learn English
Modal Verbs / Modals / Modal Auxiliaries
PART ONE
Some of the most frequently used modal auxiliaries are be to, be supposed to, may, might, must, can, could, had better, have to, have got to, ought to, should, used to, and would. For the most part, these auxiliaries express the speaker’s mind-set or mood. In addition, modals may indicate possibility, permission, obligation, or ability.
We should talk to our parents about it.
Every morning I would drive15 miles to work.
I might be able to finish the kitchen by tonight.
ü  Modal auxiliaries always precede the verb in the sentence, regardless of the verb form, including the addition of the auxiliaries be, have, and do. Modals (except those that include be or have) do not change form for number, and some make no tense changes. When most modal auxiliaries are used in the present tense, they are followed by the base form of the verb.
Mom might make fried chicken tonight.
They must consider every possibility.
ü  In order to form a question with a modal auxiliary, move the auxiliary to the beginning of the sentence in front of the subject.
Can you lift this heavy box?
May our friends join you for lunch?
ü  To form a negative statement with a modal auxiliary, place the word not immediately after the modal auxiliary and before all other auxiliary verbs.
I cannot understand a word she says.
Maybe she should not have borrowed that winter jacket.
ü  ‘Would’ and ‘could’ specify a desired or hypothetical situation. These two auxiliaries are often used in a main clause when if + a subjunctive form is used in the other clause.
He would really like to eat one.
I wish I could go horse riding.
If I were a rich man, I would build homeless shelters everywhere.
ü  ‘Would’ is also used to indicate a habitual action.
I would often go to the movies with my sister.
ü  ‘Can’ indicates the ability to do something. Note that its past form is could.
Walking down that road can be dangerous.
Man can travel far into outer space.
She could not see where the road ended.
ü  Whereas ‘can’ indicates the ability to do something, may indicates that something is acceptable. In casual speech, however, ‘can’ is often substituted for ‘may’.
My sister may borrow my car if she needs to.
My sister can borrow my car if she needs to.
ü  The first sentence above indicates that My sister has permission to borrow the car, while the second sentence indicates that My sister has the ability to borrow it, or, if used casually, that she has permission to borrow it. Although there is no definite rule, ‘may’ is usually used to make polite requests.
May I have one of those forms, please?
Dad, may we go swimming today?
ü  ‘Must’ shows necessity or requirement; it can also express certainty.
We must obtain a license before we can sell liquor.
I must insist that you finish the job by dusk.
If he’s not here, he must have been delayed.
ü  ‘May’ and ‘might’ can show uncertainty or possibility.
I may have to go to New York this weekend.
The children may need a flu shot.
We might have another storm tonight.
You might be right.
ü  ‘Had better’ and ‘ought to’ suggest that something needs to be done and imply advisability.
You had better go to hospital for your knee injury.  
She really ought to find new friends.
Reactions

Post a Comment

0 Comments