Grammar: Reported Speech (Direct and Indirect Speech)

Grammar: Reported Speech (Direct and Indirect Speech)
Grammar: Reported Speech

Grammar: Reported Speech

Direct and Indirect Speech

A. In direct speech, we repeat the original speaker’s exact words, and in indirect speech (Reported Speech), we give the exact meaning of a remark or a speech without necessarily using the speaker’s exact words:

Direct: He said, “I have gone home.”

Indirect: He said that he had gone home.

B. The verb ‘say’ in direct speech remains unchanged; in indirect speech, 'say to + object' changes into 'tell + object':

Direct: He said, “I go.”

Indirect: He said (that) he went.

Direct: He said to me, “I go.”

Indirect: He told me (that) he went.

C. When Direct Speech is changed into Indirect Speech:

First Person (I, We) and Second Person (You) become Third Person (He, She, They) respectively:

Direct: He said, “I go.”

Indirect: He said that he went.

Direct: He said, “You go.”

Indirect: He said that he went.

First Person changes in accordance with the subject of the Reporting Verb, and Second Person according to the object of the Reporting Verb:

Direct: She said, “I work.”

Indirect: She said that she worked.

Third Person doesn’t change.

Direct: My father said, " She can swim."

Indirect: My father said that she could swim.

D. When the Reporting Verb is in the Present,

Present Perfect or Future Tense, there is no change in the tense of the Reported Speech:

Direct: He says/He has said/ He will say, “I sleep.”

Indirect: He says/ He has said / He will say that he sleeps.

E. Certain Adverbials, denoting time and place and other expressions are changed in the following ways:

Direct Indirect
now/just then
today that day
yesterday the day before/the previous day
tomorrow the following day / the next day
the day before yesterday two days before
the day after tomorrow in two days’ time
next week/month the following week/month
a year ago a year before/the previous year
hence thence
thus so
here there
thus so
this / these that / those
come go

for part 2

Reactions

Post a Comment

0 Comments